News

Michelle Knight testifies at Cleveland abductor hearing

Michelle Knight testifies at Cleveland abductor hearing

Michelle Knight, one of the three kidnapped women, pauses to wipe away tears as she reads her statements during the sentencing of her accused kidnapper Ariel Castro at a court hearing in Cleveland, Ohio. Photo: Reuters/Aaron Josefczyk

By Kim Palmer

CLEVELAND (Reuters) – The woman held for the longest time in captivity and repeatedly sexually assaulted by Cleveland kidnapper Ariel Castro testified on Thursday about the abuse she endured during 11 years of captivity.

Michelle Knight, 32, spoke in a strong voice, at times choking back tears.

“I served 11 years of hell. Now your hell is just beginning,” Knight said of Castro in a statement read to the court.

Castro pleaded guilty last week to hundreds of criminal charges to avoid the possibility of the death penalty. He is expected to be sentenced later on Thursday to life in prison without the possibility of parole, plus 1,000 years.

Wearing leg shackles and dressed in an orange prison jumpsuit, Castro listened to the testimony without expression.

Amanda Berry, 27, Gina DeJesus, 23 and Knight, all went missing from the west side of Cleveland between 2002 and 2004. They were discovered on May 6 after neighbors heard Berry’s cries for help from Castro’s home.

(Reporting by Kim Palmer; Writing by Greg McCune; Editing by Lisa Von Ahn and Gunna Dickson)

Latest Stories

in Entertainment, Viral Videos

WATCH: ‘Star Wars’ awakens force with teaser trailer

17-overlay2

"There has been an awakening. Have you felt it?"

in Black Friday, Entertainment

‘Frozen’ tops Barbie as top girls’ holiday pick

frozen

The results marked the first time in 11 years that Barbie hasn't held the No. 1 spot in the annual toy survey.

in Trending, Viral Videos

TODAY’S MUST SEE: ‘Friends of the Galaxy’ mashup

24-overlay2

If "Guardians of the Galaxy" was set to the "Friends" theme.

in Entertainment

Today in entertainment history: Nov. 28

willienelson

A look at the Hollywood headlines that went down in history.

in Music

One Direction makes Billboard history

FILE - This Nov. 26, 2013 file photo shows One Direction members, from left, Harry Styles, Louis Tomlinson, Liam Payne, Zayn Malik and Niall Horan on ABC's "Good Morning America"in New York. A representative for One Direction says the band’s lawyers are dealing with a video showing two band members smoking what the singers referred to as an “illegal substance.” British tabloid The Daily Mail posted a five-minute clip Tuesday, May 27, 2014, of Zayn Malik smoking and speaking with Louis Tomlinson, who is filming.

The British boy band became the only group to score four consecutive No. 1 debuts on the U.S. Billboard 200 album chart.